Monday, March 4, 2013

I have a love/hate relationship with wallpaper. Oh, and this is also about our guest bath renovation.

Hello! So as I'm sure from the title of the post you can tell that I've had to deal with wallpaper.  Unfortunately for me, its not just in one room of the house.  But more about that later.  This was the first time I have ever had to tackle taking down wallpaper, and I've decided it would have been easier to burn the house down.  Not only was there one layer, there was two, and honestly maybe even three. When we bought the house, the MLS listing picture of this bathroom is very deceiving because it just looks like blue paint....right? This is that deceiving picture..
The pros of this room were:
Granite counter top (which I was so thankful for bc I would have never spent the money on for the bathrooms)
The cabinets were still in great shape..so we got rid of the 80's stain, and camouflaged the wood paneling
----Thats about all the pros I can think of...and too many cons to list!

When we bought our house, we knew we were going to re-do every room.  We vowed to try and do most of the work ourselves, and hopfully achieve the exact look we wanted, while TRYING to stay on a budget.  I randomly picked this room to start with.  I only have one true "before" picture (above) because Brock's computer crashed and we lost tons of photos.  Sucky.  I have a couple of the mid way through photos...AFTER the three weeks of scraping and tearing down the worlds most stuck on wallpaper.  We ended up using a texturing tool,  water bottle, and lots of cuss words:)  But finally it came down....what also came down was most of the dry wall because I got carried away with the water bottle.  So, after Brock patched holes, taught himself how to texture the walls and ceiling, (oh yeah, the VERY first thing we did was scrape all the popcorn ceilings throughout the house...oh my, kill me now) sanded the wood work, and I primed every inch of the damn room, this is how it looked...

We are kind of going with a 'beachy' theme throughout the house...I mean, if you live in Oklahoma with a pool in your backyard, you basically live at the beach right?  So in here I wanted to use cool, bright, light colors. I have been wanting to do a room where the trim and walls are the same color, but I was nervous to do a dark saturated color on the trim and walls, so I knew this was the room to try it in.  We used Wisteria Snow in semi gloss by Valspar for the walls, trim, and wood paneling...which I have come to love:) 
We used navy blue for the vanity and cabinet over the toilet.  I think I had it color matched, so Im not sure on the color.  Oops.  But, I love the two blues together!!  The shower curtain and bath rugs are from West Elm, on sale.  I hardly EVER buy anything unless its on sale...thats how I trick myself into pretending to save money.  The mirror is recycled from our old house...I spray painted it glossy white.  I love spray paint.  I spray paint everything.  It started out gold, went to matte black, now to glossy white.  We replaced the cheap white light fixture with recessed lights, took out the heater and added a chandelier.  It was an antique store find, already painted red.  Score.  The shelf is from Ikea.  Craziest place on earth.  And all the art work is original..especially the bird drawing that I somehow managed to paint after too many glasses of wine.  If you notice, B made me hang it BEHIND the door.  Haha.  The screen print is of my grandmother that my very talented cousin Lindsey did, and the dog drawing is something Brock drew for me.  I found a similar one on pinterest, so he recreated it with our best friends dogs along with our own.  Its just one of the funny quirky things I love about our house.  The knobs are from Anthropologie, which to be honest took me a couple trips up there to finally pull the trigger.  They were not on sale, and in my opionion not cheap compared to HobLob, but I just HAD to have them.  I think they make the vanity look even more amazing, so it was totally worth the money.  For this being the first room we tackled, I love the way it turned out!! 


     
We replaced the old flat bathroom door with a white gloss five panel door, and luckily we have a huge deep linen closet in this bath.  I was planning on replacing this door also, but came across this image from pinterest. (right) This is not something my handy hubby wants to try and take on, so we are hiring a carpenter to come and build this in. I'm super excited about it! I think it will add that much more character to the room!   Built In Linen Shelf

This stuff is. the. bomb.  It wasn't in our budget to rip up and replace the tile, so I had to come up with something to distract you from the floral flooring:)  This grout refresh is amazing stuff.  You apply it to the grout lines, use a toothbrush to smooth out, let dry for a bit, and wipe off excess.  It took our nasty  dark dirty grout, to pretty clean light colored grout!  Biscuit colored to be exact. 
I dont have a before picture of the grout in that bath, but it is the same as the grout in our bath..so here is that pic..then the after.  I mean, like night and day.  Looks 100% better!  By far the best $9 we spent! 





No comments:

Post a Comment