Monday, April 8, 2013

Stripes and hallways are the perfect mix.

Hello again!  I am very excited about this post because its about my FAVORITE room (is a hallway a room??) in the house!!!  It might make you dizzy.  Stripes are everywhere nowadays,  and I love them all.  Especially black and white stripes.  Before we even bought our new house, I knew exactly what I wanted to do to the hallway.  I just had to talk B into it:)  Luckily for me, B is as crazy as I am when it comes to drastic changes to the house, so it didn't take much convincing.  What it did take however was a very patient husband, and lots of time.  Getting everything level and making sure the spacing was  even was the worst.  But all totally worth it.  We have SEVEN door ways in the hallway alone, so matching up one side to the other was hell..but B did it, and did it perfectly.  Like I had said in a previous post, the first thing we did was scrape all the popcorn ceilings.  So, we are just texturing the ceilings as we go room by room.  But in the hallway, the walls were texture of the 80's, so there was no way to get perfect straight lines.  B had to go back and texture the walls TWICE to get them really smooth in order for my project to work.  Needless to say, there was so much prep work that went into this damn hallway before there was even a paint brush involved.  He's a champ.  After texturing until his hands bled (haha, he over exaggerates) and priming the hallway and ceilings, the walls were ready!!


This is the before picture...after all the texturing and priming was done.  We also are replacing the doors, 7 alone in this hallway, and painting all the wood work.   For all the white woodwork, we are using a high gloss white in Behr.  I love high gloss on wood work, it makes it super easy to clean, and the finish looks amazing!!  The white on the walls is Behr satin ultra pure white, and the black stripes are Behr high gloss black.  I wanted a contrast in paint finish to make the black really pop.   Notice the 'boob' lights.  Haha thats what they remind me of.  Those came down also by the end of the project!


Thats me, and at this point I'm a little freaked out that this is actually happening!! But B was not letting me back out because as you can see, he has already started taping off and spent 3 hours wanting to kill me:)


Almost done!!  We just had finishing touches to do, change out the light fixtures, and start hanging pictures!!  


I found this awesome teal and white mirror at the flea market, and the frames are a mixture I already had, along with some new ones from Ikea. One more thing I'm obsessed with currently is gallery walls.  I love the mixture of hanging matching or mismatching picture frames, or any thing thats hangs really!  Don't be alarmed by the upper left hand picture...it's fake!  I tagged along to a photo shoot  where Brock was a zombie, and afterwards I jumped into a few of the pictures!  If you didnt already know,  I love Ikea.  You can get some amazing deals and its a great place to buy things to mix and match in with more pricey stuff.  I love mixing old with new, and I never want a room to look too "new".  I hate that feeling.  I shop flea markets, antique stores, and the Salvation Army in Moore is our favorite go-to place for treasures!  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE buying new shiny things from places like Z gallerie, Ballard Design, Ikea, and West Elm, (just to name a few, and almost always on sale!), but I always try to mix them in with old accessories and vintage finds. 








No comments:

Post a Comment